8 May 2010

On elections, winning, and losing

For those of you who don't know it, I was unsuccessful in my bid to get re-elected for a second term in Brockley Ward and as the Mayor of Lewisham. However I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the people in Brockley who voted for me in the local and Mayoral elections - it is much appreciated.

I really enjoyed the campaign - and in particular my bid as Mayor of Lewisham. The hustings were a real plus point for me - in addition to the Brockley Cross Action Group Hustings I attended one hosted by the Lewisham Churches and the Lewisham Pensioners' Forum. The audiences in the context of the Lewisham-wide electorate were small - however they do offer a snapshot of views and opinions on a wide range of issues - and ensure that you as a candidate have credible policies. Long may the hustings continue... #

I have thoroughly enjoyed representing Brockley over the last 4 years and found it an enormously enriching and enjoyable experience. Understandably I am disappointed to have lost - but in politics if you want to enjoy the considerable pleasure of winning, you have to also accept the risk of losing and all that goes with it.

On a personal positive note Darren was successful and Brockley still has a Green councillor - and of course the Greens got their first MP elected to Westminster from Brighton Pavilion, Caroline Lucas.

I am going away for a few days - to relax, unwind and generally recover...and it's back to work the following week.

2 comments:

Goblinf said...

Hi Dean. Very sorry to see you were not relected as Councillor. I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for your support and involvement in the community during your tenure.

Poolingtogether said...

Hi Dean, I too am sorry to see you go. I would like to thank you for your support and professional nature when you helped us in the past and wish you all the best for the future. Regards

Lee